WHEN: Saturday February 10, 2007 |
PURPOSE: To visit the old “Stone Fort”. Located on CR 254 (see below map).
TO CAR POOL: To join in a carpool meet 9:30 am at the Meijer Parking Lot, 5050 N. Hamilton Rd (just north of Morse Rd). Park in area behind the Meijer filling station.
OR: Meet us for lunch at 11:00 am – Raven’s Glenn Winery Restaurant
56183 CR 143 West Lafayette, Oh. Lunch: $5.50 to $10.00.
FORT TOUR: 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm.
OPTIONAL: On return home, stop at Newcomerstown Museum and possibly an area historic building too.
LEADER: Weldon Mortine
HISTORY: Uncertain. Could have been built by the French, namely d'Iberville between 1679 and 1689, by order of French Canadian Governor Vaudreuil, as one of the series of forts built from Canada through the Ohio valley to the Mississippi, to leagalize French claim to the area; others say it was built by Issac Evans, an early settler for protection from the Indians. In 1952, it was restored by the Coshocton County Historical Society.